Safe Toys and Gifts Month
Observed During: December, 2022
In the United States, December is observed as “Safe Toys and Gifts Month” as a means for alerting us to the need to be careful when making our toy and gift choices, and to prompt us to keep in mind their safety and suitability. Knowing what to look out for can make a big difference in preventing possible injuries from well-intentioned gifts.
December was declared Safe Toys and Gifts month by Prevent Blindness America. This observance encourages everyone to consider the age appropriateness and if the toys they wish to give suits the individual skills and abilities of the child who will receive it, especially for infants and children under age three. Shoppers may forget about safety factors when it comes to purchasing their children’s desired toys and gifts. Before making purchases, it is essential to examine the safety and age range of the toys you select.
Guidelines for choosing safe toys:
- Inspect toys before purchasing. Avoid those with flying parts or that shoot.
- Toys should not have sharp edges or points and should be sturdy enough to withstand any significant impact without breaking.
- Choose toy for children with special needs that appeal to different senses such as texture, sound, and movement. Consider toys size appropriate and those that allow the child to play with others.
Inspect the toys your child receives. Check for age and skill level. Make sure of the developmental appropriateness.
- Make sure the toys have passed a safety inspection. “ATSM” means the toy has met the American Society for Testing and Materials standards.
- Make sure Crayons are “nontoxic.”
- Make sure the toys do not have small part including magnets or small button batteries.
- Make sure the toys do not contain lead.
- Make sure toys do not have ropes or heating elements.
Links Share a Link
Promotions Share a Promotion
No Promotions Yet, Share a Promotion Today!